Search This Blog

Our Family - click the pic below for more pictures

Our Family - click the pic below for more pictures
Click the picture above to see more pictures!

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Becoming Familiar

After two weeks in the wilderness of Honduras, I mean our new home, I am feeling a bit more confident about everything. The surroundings are becoming more familiar, I am learning how to care for my family in a different culture and completely different lifestyle:
-communal kitchen- guess what we'll have for dinner...you got it- rice beans tortillas and maybe eggs. We do have peanut butter...they make the corn tortillas taste a lot better!
no hot water
garbage disposal=burn or bury everything
travel: on foot, horseback or moto, unless you are lucky to hop in the back of someone's truck exercise: (although most Hondurans do not formally exercise) for me=trail running...watch out for cattle herding, horses, dogs, chickens, and try not to break your ankle on the rough terrain...I've biffed it twice already but no serious injuries :) Oh, there is an incredible waterfall on a 10 minute run down a path from our house...new definition of the word breathtaking, incredible landscape
cement floors- love that you can spill (or toss) anything on the floor, wait for it to dry and just sweep it out the door later. we are borrowing a sleeping bag for Sicily to sit on so when she falls over she doesnt get hurt. I'm a little nervous for when she starts moving more.
solar power- the only electricity we have...we are able to charge computers and have a few dull lights on in the evening. basically we go to bed before 9 (it gets dark at 630) and get up at 5am. I have a reading light I turn on when I get up with Sicily at night.
Bugs- do everything you can to not get eaten alive...burn outside picnic bug smokers in your house before bedtime, use a lot of bug spray, never leave any food or water in your house, smash every spider, mosquito, stick bug looking scorpian, and anything else with more than four legs or wings that you see, and lastly, struggle through two bug nets every time the baby wakes up at night...I would say The Bugs are the most difficult thing to get used to

At first, the place we are at seemed so incredibly isolated, I was thinking, what am I going to do here if I can't even find Honduran families! But, poco a poco, little by little, we have been coming into more contact with the people of the area and I am so excited to be here!
We have a wonderful community of women who we live with. Together we cook, eat, learn, wash laundry, have church, ect. These girls are all about 18-22 years old and they are the students at leadership university. Joseph and Ira teach most of the classes, but Hailey has taught them a lot about health. So far I have just done one class with them in which they made skits-they will perform this saturday. I am hoping to start leading some conversations in class so I can begin writing/researching more about Honduran culture.


No comments:

Post a Comment