Search This Blog

Our Family - click the pic below for more pictures

Our Family - click the pic below for more pictures
Click the picture above to see more pictures!

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Goodbyes


Sarah and Valerie started crying as we hopped on the moto to leave our friends.  I don’t know why other people crying makes me want to cry, but it does.  Leaving is so hard and usually a little awkward – the goodbyes that turn into something else you wanted to say, to more hugs goodbye and finally someone saying that we need to leave if we want to get home at a decent time (in our case before dark) .  And now that we’ve said goodbye to our new, but trusted friends, the Shuberts, the sense of actually leaving a place we’ve called home for the last 10 months has finally set in.  There is not much else you can do but cry.

It’s funny that the thing that has brought us so much joy and made us commit to longer than a 2 week mission trip, that is wanting to have a larger impact and deeper relationships, is also causing us the most pain while thinking about and getting ready to leave.  But as they say, “it’s better to love and lose, than to never love at all” or something like that.  That is exactly what has happened in the fairly short time while we’ve been here.  Relationships have been built, friends have been made, volunteers and students have come and gone, and fantastic memories have been remembered.  We love the students that are here like they are our own family, the extra time that I’m able to spend with my daughters and wife, the food – ok maybe not the food as much, but the rice and beans aren’t too bad if you add hot sauce – and the beautiful surroundings that we have on campus.  It’s actually difficult sometimes to remember what life was like in the States, or what life will be like when we return, aside from more ice cream.  We do know there will be more of that!

The next 2 and a half weeks will be hard as we pack up and train our replacements.  There are a couple things that do cheer me up when I think of leaving; I know I am returning to friends and family and I know that I will come back to Honduras soon as well. I think that I can stay busy enough to keep my mind off the inevitability of leaving everyone and everything here.  In the moments that I think of leaving I may tear up…there’s not much else you can do.  

No comments:

Post a Comment