Search This Blog

Our Family - click the pic below for more pictures

Our Family - click the pic below for more pictures
Click the picture above to see more pictures!

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Week 7 - Finally Made It - part 2

Before I begin this next post, I've been informed by my wonderful editor that I write too much about food.  I must just appreciate variety in food more these days, but nonetheless, I will try to forgo writing about food as often and hopefully about more interesting topics.  So.....
After leaving Mayra's place, we set our sail northwest to Martha's house.  I think this was must have been our shortest day of travel in the past few days (not counting today).  I think it was only ike 3-4 hours in the car.  Anyway, we got to Martha's house and talked for a bit before we decided to do something.  It was an incredibly warm day, and just so happens that this is the hottest time of year in this part of Honduras. We all thought a walk to the beach would be nice, and Olivia really wanted to see the water.  We took about a 1/2 mile walk to the beach weeving through houses and pulperias before we got to the beach where some young boys were swimming.  I knew the water was going to be warm, but when you step into the ocean here, it's like getting into a giant hot tub, especially when the last ocean water you were in, in Seaside, OR, would give you hypothermia within the hour.  We didnt go swimming, but the girls loved splashing around a bit in the warm water.

We had dinner with Martha's family (there i go again) and drove up the street to where we'd be staying for the night.  A nicer, but unfinished house that will be the future home of several orphans.  The day's humidity, did not let up at night, and I'm pretty sure I've never been that hot and sweaty before.  Holy smokes.  Falling asleep was a little difficult, but oddly enough I slept pretty well through the night.  It was probably only because I was so weary from the travelling and the heat/sun.  The next morning we had some time before we had to leave for Puerto Cortes. Martha and her dad took us to a beautiful river with a couple small waterfalls.  The area looked like it was right out of a movie, I mean, it just looked so perfect.  These are the parts of Honduras that make you forget about the poverty and other troubles of the country.  The water was refreshingly cool and clear, apparently so much so that Marhta's dad was re-hydrating himself with it.  Wouldn't you love to have the immunities to drink straight from a stream- I would.  I suppose it's a silver lining in not having clean water to drink each day...? Olivia wanted to go swimming, so Martha volunteered to take her for a bit.

After the beautiful waterfall we said our goodbyes and headed to our final Honduran destination. 

No comments:

Post a Comment